Monday, April 02, 2007

A Day In The Life Of An NPR Junkie

6:00AM: Woke up in a cold sweat. Dreamt last night I was listening to Diane Rehm interview Madeleine Albright regarding her inaction on Rwanda. It was so vivid I could almost smell the organic whole-leaf white tea they were drinking--but in the cruel light of day, I realize no such interview exists. My soul fills with emptiness.

8:00AM: Only two hours later, and I have already bought two This American Life episodes and a Talk of the Nation from my local online dealer. If I’m lucky, this will get me to lunch. I think back to the days when I could wait an entire week in between doses of TAL, the days before I discovered the downloadable archives on Audible.com... Now I’m nothing but another well-informed addict with a $2.45-a-day habit.

8:02:AM: My whole body’s on fire with the need for compelling stories from ordinary people that have been organized by theme. DOWNLOAD FASTER, YOU PIECES OF SHIT.

8:03AM: Ira Glass’ soothing voice hits my ears. I lie down and go into a deep trance. The $0.67 was totally worth it. This anecdote about the trials of raising an autistic teenager is some good shit.

9:00AM: Arrive at work an hour early. Couldn't wait any longer for that sweet, sweet transit listening.

12:00PM: Tried to talk to my roommate about this totally insane All Things Considered, but she just couldn’t understand. No one can.

1:15PM: I listen to three quick NPR shuffle podcasts before realizing I haven’t showered in four days.

2:30PM: Morning Edition, Fresh Air, News and Notes… I was going to save them for the weekend, but I’ve got a good upper-middle-class, self-congratulatory liberal buzz going on and there’s no stopping now.

11:30PM: The last nine hours are a blur. Woke up covered in piss and emboldened with a new-found passion for under-funded refugee programs in Eastern Europe. I can’t keep going like this. I’ve got to stop altogether, for my own good. And I will... right after this piece on rebuilding New Orleans’ shattered justice system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home